Sunday, January 8, 2012

DIY bailing wire cross with marbles

About a month before Christmas I was invited to join the website Pinterest by a friend (Thanks Traci!). I'm now hooked and spend way too much time there.  I managed to make a few Christmas gifts for family and friends.  I hope to post here often with my next project.

The first project I tackled was the bailing wire and marble crosses.

Materials:  bailing wire and marbles

First figure out the length of the cross you want.  This is a 12" cross.  I cut the length at 13 1/2" inches.

Cut 12 wire pieces at 13 1/2" and cut 12 more wire pieces at 11 1/2".

I used a wooden spoon from my kitchen to wrap the wire.  Wrap the wire around the wood about 1 and 1/2 or 2 times.  You will need to make a "pocket" for the marble to slide in to.

Continue wrapping both ends of all 24 wires.  Next, join the two 12 across and 12 long pieces by crisscrossing the wire.  This should end up looking like an X.  Once you have the middle wrapped, form a hook on the back to hang the cross.

I've also taken three extra wires and wrapped them around the middle of the cross and insert marbles.  It's a personal preference.

You are now ready to insert the marbles.  Fluff the wires a little bit and you are ready to hang the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment