Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cricut in the Kitchen

I have been in my house about 5 years.  I've gone back and forth about how I wanted to decorate my kitchen.  I am not in to "cutesy", farm animals or wine so trying to find something away from those things was hard.

Two years ago for Christmas my husband bought me a Cricut machine.  I created a few projects but for the most part it sat on my desk using up valuable desk space.  I finally decided to cut out spice words in vinyl and use as my back splash.  This is my before picture.


As you can see, my appliances are black and silver and the granite countertop is black with green flakes so I pretty much had to use the black vinyl for the lettering.  Instead of buying the costly vinyl at the craft store, I visited my local sign print  shop and bought his scraps for $10 in a variety of colors.  Let's say I will have plenty of vinyl for a lot more projects!




 I used a pencil line for height spacing but guessed at the placement of the words.  The light  switch  plate and the outlets were not all the same height so I had to make sure I measured carefully from the bottom of the wall.



 I bought this wall art at Wal-Mart for $11 specifically because I wanted the 3-D spoon.  I think I will be adding my antique saucer collection to this space above the double windows.  My next project will be making curtains for these windows as I haven't been able to find ready made curtains in the pattern I like.

So this is what I have so far.  One more wall for the words along the other side of the kitchen counters and that part will be done.  Curtains for the windows, a pillow for the window seat and new area  rugs.  I'll post more pictures as I progress.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Robin, thank you for stopping by & leaving a comment. And for sharing your project, those vinyl words are so cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete